Do’s & Don’ts
Do’s and Don’ts If the Police Stop You
The following advice is offered by the National Black Police Association , an organization dedicated to promoting justice, fairness and effectiveness in law enforcement.
▪ KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE THE POLICE CAN SEE THEM
▪ PLEASE . . . DO NOT RUN!
▪ DO NOT TOUCH ANY POLICE OFFICER.
▪ DO NOT RESIST – even if you believe you are innocent.
▪ DO NOT COMPLAIN TOO STRONGLY on the scene or tell the police they’re wrong or that you’re going to file a complaint.
▪ ASK FOR A LAWYER immediately when arrested.
▪ RECORD OFFICERS’ BADGE NUMBERS and PATROL CAR NUMBERS and WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING you remember – ASAP.
▪ TRY TO FIND WITNESSES and their names and phone numbers